Re: Pet Peeves

Subject: Re: Pet Peeves
From: HOLLAND -at- IPFWCVAX -dot- BITNET
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 21:32:50 EST

I explode when I see "the field of" and "the area of" in their figurative
sentences. "I'm studying the field of corn" doesn't bother me when said by
an Ag Extension agent, but "I'm studying the field of biology" makes me yell,
and "I'm interested in the field of magnetism" (when not a joke) makes me
screammmmm.

Then there're redundancies: "PC computer," "a flat disc," "a round disk,"
"rectangular in shape," "ABS braking system," &c.

Oh, and "software package," unless used to describe the BOX containing the
diskettes.

. . . But everybody KNOWS I have lots of pet peeves.

Oops! No editor, but "sentences" in Line 2 should read "senses": "in their
figurative SENSES."

Steve Hollander
holland -at- cvax -dot- ipfw -dot- indiana -dot- edu