cross-posting

Subject: cross-posting
From: Dickie Selfe <rselfe -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 16:39:42 -0600

Saul writes:

Similarly, in their enthusiasm to share the excitement of this list with their
readers, some STC newsletter editors are reprinting contributions to this list.
Although the contributors are given a byline, some of the articles seem a bit
strange out of the context of the list. Some are published, too, without the
prior permission of the contributor. With the ease with which we can now
download and print online information, we sometimes forget about copyrights
and permissions. If any STC Newsletter Editor is reading this list,
please check with a contributor before printing the information they posted.

. . . .
Saul Carliner, Second Vice-President

Saul's reminder of permissions made me think of my own use of this list as
I cross-post messages or parts of messages to CAP-L, the computer-aided
publishing list that deals with issues similar to TECHWR-L. There are many
students, academics and some professionals on the list, and the
discussions, I think, have been useful to the participants. I inevitably
include not only the poster's name but the list name (in order to encourage
others to subscribe) but I have generally NOT asked permission before hand.
I wonder how you folks feel about this sort of immediate, cross-posting.
It is common practice on most listservs that I've read.

Dickie Selfe 102 Walker
rselfe -at- mtu -dot- edu Michigan Technological U.
906-487-3225 Houghton, MI 49931