Re: Re[2]: your mail

Subject: Re: Re[2]: your mail
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 13:01:18 EDT

Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM> writes:

> I haven't been including [my e-mail address] either, since my system
> has automatic reply to
> sender addressing -- doesn't yours? Have I been guilty of an email breach of
> etiquette?

Dunno about the "breach of etiquette," but it's helpful to keep in
mind that not all mailers are perfect, and headers often get munged in
transit, while the body of the message rarely does (relatively speaking,
anyway :-). As such, it's a good idea to include your net address in the
message itself, and the customary location is at the end.

With some net set-ups, for example, it's common for "extra" message
headers to be stripped out at gateways. TECHWR-L mail comes from the
mailing list itself; the original sender's address appears in a
separate header line, which some mailers may consider to be "extra."

One way to get a TECHWR-L member's net address is to send the command
REVIEW TECHWR-L to the Listserv address (*not* to techwr-l). This'll
get you a list of all subscribers (names and net addresses) who have
*not* set their subscriptions to CONCEAL. (You *did* read that first
acknowledgement message that you got when you initially subscribed to
the list, didn't you? :-)

-- Kelly

p.s. MUNG = Mung Until No Good.

Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH 03062 admitting defeat."