Re: Translating Ventura

Subject: Re: Translating Ventura
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1993 19:37:24 PDT

Beth,

While it may be that graphics don't translate well from
Ventura to Frame, a friend who's been doing similar conversions
told me he was surprised how much of the formatting, etc.
*was* successfully converted with Frame's Ventura filter.
He found it to be pretty easy and thought the conversion was
probably about 95% accurate.

I wouldn't dream of converting from Ventura to Word. You could
do it, but as far as I know there's no way to preserve the
formatting, and you would have to write a macro to delete all
of Ventura's weird codes (formatting, indexing, markers,
cross-references, etc.). Even if the graphics don't go through
from Ventura to Frame, I think a conversion to Frame would still
require a *lot* less work.

Also, I know I wouldn't be happy going from a DTP product to Word.
I like Word as a word processor for letters, schedules, etc., but
it just can't do some of the heavy-duty/complex stuff that a DTP
product can do. I've gotten accustomed to using those features for
the manuals I write, and I'd hate to give them up. (I use Ventura
myself, and anticipate an eventual switch to Frame. I briefly
considered Word but decided against it for the above reasons.)

Faith
weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com