Indexing Online Books: Cost Effective?

Subject: Indexing Online Books: Cost Effective?
From: Jon Huxtable <jonh -at- HARSTON -dot- CV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1993 14:38:54 GMT

I'm sure that we would all agree that a well constructed
index is a cost effective part of a paper manual - in other
words, it's a great deal of hard work but worth the effort.

If the same books are delivered online, with full text retrieval
facilities, the index still has a value but I suspect the value
is much less. Anybody got any opinions on cost effectiveness?

Jon Huxtable
Documentation Manager - Computervision R&D, Harston, Cambridge, UK.