Discourse software for the Mac

Subject: Discourse software for the Mac
From: randy harris <raha -at- WATARTS -dot- UWATERLOO -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1993 09:09:15 -0500

I have swiped and am posting this from another list, LINGUIST (Volume
4-923, to be exact). Some of you may be familiar with the list, but for
those who aren't, I just wanted to alert you to some text-analyzing
software for the Mac that might be of use in technical communicaiton.
Please note: I have no connection to the group who developed the software.

************************* LINGUIST Post begins *************************

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1993 14:12:18 +1000
From: Mark Durie <mark_durie -at- muwayf -dot- unimelb -dot- edu -dot- au>
Subject: Referent Tracking Software

REGARDING Referent Tracking Software
Are you interested in a Mac-based system for analyzing discourse
profiles, with an emphasis (at this stage) on referent tracking/topic
continuity (including e.g. givenness/persistence statistics)? The
software we are developing can also do a range of other analyses. It
is intuitive and efficient to use, with user-defined coding
categories. It could be used for teaching or research purposes.

We are wondering what interest there may be in this software. If
there are sufficient people interested, we'd like to consider
producing a manual, and making copies of the program available to
others for a modest fee (to cover the manual development, packaging
and shipping costs). If you are interested, then let me know:

a) your name,
b) a few lines on what your discourse analysis interest is and the
kinds of data categories and reports you require in your work, and
c) what kind of Mac you use (including amount of RAM).

This would give us an idea of what the potential users might be and
whether it is worth our while trying to package this program for use
by others, or whether just to continue developing it as an in-house
tool.

Please send answers to: Mark_Durie -at- muwayf -dot- unimelb -dot- edu -dot- au