Re[2]: Overcoming Technophobia

Subject: Re[2]: Overcoming Technophobia
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1993 14:46:00 EST

From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Comments: To: TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu
Nov 5, 93 5:45 pm
SMTP-CCMail translator Ver: acm 2.73 8/18/93
Fred Wersan said:
> I think that even people who aren't phobic like screen captures, though
> not of every prompt, warning, etc. (At least I sure do)

Karen Kay noted:
>I tend to, too, but sometimes plain screen captures are confusing--you
>are not sure what you are supposed to be paying attention to if there
>is a lot of stuff on the screen. It's nice if you can somehow
>highlight the screen capture, or explicate it in the text so that you
>can tell what you are supposed to be seeing.

Absolutely. Therefore, caption 'em carefully, and use callouts if you can and
if they are appropriate. In my case, all I had to do was show them the screen
they were supposed to be on -- it was pretty much intuitive after that (due to
GREAT design on the part of the software engineer who developed it).

On Fred's note, screen captures are a great boon to the visual learner, as
well as the non-native English speaker. We are supposed to be addressing
different kinds of learning, right?

Bonni Graham | font, n. Loosely, a typeface
Technical Writer | or family of typefaces. A
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | bit-mapped font is one that
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | displays a typeface on the
President, San Diego STC | screen of a computer. Type-
| faces for laser printers,
NOTE: apparently my email address needs | which must be kept in
to be typed exactly as it appears here, | the Blessed System
punctuation and all, or the system gets | Folder, are known as bap-
upset. | tismal fonts.