Re: Indexing Online Books: Cost Effective?

Subject: Re: Indexing Online Books: Cost Effective?
From: Paul Goble <paulg -at- COL -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1993 22:43:42 GMT

Mark wrote:
: Set the text free and let it fly. Getting lost (in hyperspace) would
: suggest to me that the reader failed to make the conscious (and
: conscientious) choices necessary to get them where they wanted to be.

Which reminds me of a story related by Henry Korman in a class last week:

During usability testing on a hyptertext help system, one user
became so disoriented that he jumped up, ran for the bathroom,
and vomited.

His (successful) solution was to eliminate many of the hyperlinks and to
use a more hierarchical and linear help structure.

Paul Goble
paulg -at- col -dot- hp -dot- com