(Fwd: *C&CD*) RE: (Fwd: *C&CD*) EFL students in a Tech communication course (*TECHWR-L*) (13) (*COMP.COMP*) (11)

Subject: (Fwd: *C&CD*) RE: (Fwd: *C&CD*) EFL students in a Tech communication course (*TECHWR-L*) (13) (*COMP.COMP*) (11)
From: r0mill01 -at- ULKYVX -dot- LOUISVILLE -dot- EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1993 00:22:08 GMT

Entry: 11
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 11:26:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Rachel Silber <ontos!rachel -at- uu -dot- psi -dot- com>
Subject: RE: (Fwd: *C&CD*) EFL students in a Tech communication course
Newsgroups: comp.edu.composition

It sounds like you are in a non-winnable situation. But perhaps one useful
skill that could be imparted in this context is the notion of graphical
aids to technical communication, and at least distinguishing between good
graphics and poor ones. If "presentations" are one of the things that you
have to cover, the topic is certainly relevant. In addition, it is a topic
that is not wholly dependent on skills with English.

The best references I know of on the subject are the two books by Edward
Tufte, _The_Visual_Display_of_Quantitative_Information_ and
_Envisioning_Information_.

I am not a teacher, and have no great experience in technical
communication, but I hope this is a helpful suggestion. Good luck.

Rachel Silber
rachel -at- ontos -dot- com