Re: page numbering -- internal references

Subject: Re: page numbering -- internal references
From: Guy Haas <ghaas -at- INFORMIX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 16:04:45 PST

Gee, LaVonna--(direct, not broadcast)

*FrameMaker* handles cross-references like that very
easily. All's I really want to know is whether there
is a USER-USABILITY reason for the numbering. The
thread is rife with chitchat about updates being
easier. I maintained the 1300-page COBOL85 Reference
Manual for Tandem for many years. Because updates
are cheaper for the existing userbase than whole
new editions, I put out 3 updates. Unfortunately,
the <expletive> company did not merge updates in
for a new edition before reprinting, so brand new
customers were paying for the COBOL85 manual and
receiving it plus 3 updates they needed to merge
before using it. And the total pages of updates
came to about 1/2 the total pages of the book
(new copy of index each time, for example).

--Guy