Re: page numbering -- internal references

Subject: Re: page numbering -- internal references
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 08:17:55 -0500

>From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
>Subject: page numbering -- internal references
<snip>
>Whenever a page number is changed, you have to be careful of internal
>refereces (See page 5-8) being correct. Although software will often
>update the TOC and index, internal references probably have to be
>updated by the writer.
<snip>
>If you have software that will update internal references or if you
>know of a way to do this in Pagemaker 5.0/win (what I use), please
>speak up.

We use Interleaf 5, which has a nifty autonumbering feature with the special
added bonus of being able to make an autonumber stream invisible. Writers
can create "references" to any autonumber, visible even when the autonumber
isn't. Any reference can be toggled between the reference value or the page
on which the referenced autonumber appears. So we create invisible autonumbers
all over the place in our manuals, and refer to them elsewhere by page number
("Blah is explained on page X"). Then, wherever the autonumber instance
appears after who-knows-how-many revisions, all the references to it show
the correct page number.

We really like this feature.

jim grey
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com