Re: Usability -- page numbering

Subject: Re: Usability -- page numbering
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 11:41:07 -0500

> As a minor point, speaking as someone who actually reads TFM,
> finding pages is easier in a sequentially numbered manual,
> especially if I don't know it inside out. With page numbers
> for each chapter, I have to guess, when I open to, say,
> page 4-17, how far I am from 7-3. With sequential numbering,
> I know how far page 134 is from page 188.

Good reason. Another annoying thing about chapter numbering (I feel like
Andy Rooney here), did you ever have a manual you were very good about
updating with new information, but the index wasn't redone? Don't you
just hate looking up something using the index, and you realize it's out
of date?

We don't chapter number here. Some people swear by it though. Vive la
difference, oui?

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer | "To err is human, but it feels |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| divine." - Mae West |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|