Re: "I, User" (re numbering schemes)

Subject: Re: "I, User" (re numbering schemes)
From: Doug Montalbano <D=Montalbano%GMP%Chiron -at- LARRY -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 10:07:46 PST

This gambit reminds me that I have read the results of some research
(mathematical, not reader-usability).

You can go to any word in the dictionary by randomly opening by flipping
forward and backward (that is,narrowing down the search area) not more than
17 times.

If 17 is the limit for one word in alphabetical order, what do you suppose
the max number of times is for a page number?

Doug Montalbano | Natives of poverty, children of malheur,
Chiron Corporation | The gaiety of language is our seigneur.
Emeryville, CA 94608 | --Wallace Stevens
doug -at- chiron -dot- com |
510/601-2862 (voice/tty) | [boilerplate disclaimer here]