Re: Getting that degree (Append)

Subject: Re: Getting that degree (Append)
From: DA Smith <tscom007 -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1993 20:50:40 -0500

Karen Merrell Writes
> I went back to college at age 42 because I was so tired of being turned down
>for jobs *just* because I didn't have a degree. I had all sorts of paid
>writing experience, but was never able to prove my ability (portfolio or not)
>without that sheepskin.

Have to agree. Unfortunately, sometimes it's in case something should go
wrong and the company ends up in court. Then the company can show the
employees's all had their little piece of "certification."

Beyond that, as my father keeps saying, "You've got to get your ticket, punched,
no matter what your accomplishments." (At 31 I'm finally listening).. Some
companies use the higher education "ticket" as means of showing the
individual actually learned something since being a High School graduate is
no guarantee. Others are just "Paper" oriented (even trophy-- Look, look,
we have a Ph.D, or a Nobel Prize Winner).

Sarcastic? Could be. Then again, I've seen a lot of experienced people
passed by, if not for being the wrong sex or cultural background (it works
all ways folks, remember that), then for not having the right documents -
Even if the person ultimately hired does not have the experience...

I'll stop here... I'm about to passionately launch as to the above being
one of the reasons many companies are so badly managed. (If you really want
to hear it, contact me privately. Temps see a lot)

--DA Smith