SGML DTDs

Subject: SGML DTDs
From: Stan Potts <POTTS_STAN -at- TANDEM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 15:57:00 +1600

We're beginning to explore possibilities for our next generation
CD ROM viewer and moving to an SGML-based tool looks increasingly
attractive as a long range strategy. In the course of our self
education process we've been learning about DTDs and FOSIs. One
question we've been pondering is whether it is better to use an
off-the-shelf DTD or create our own. Has anyone out there had
any experience in this area? Are DTDs difficult to create from
scratch? Is it easier to create your own than try to customize
an existing DTD? Can a single DTD allow enough flexibility to
create via the FOSI several different types of manuals? For,
example, a reference manual, a user's guide, a hardware installation
manual, or a software installation manual? Are there any obscure
pitfalls we should be aware of?

Stan Potts
potts_stan -at- tamdem -dot- com