Manuals on CD-ROM

Subject: Manuals on CD-ROM
From: Gordon Meyer <grmeyer -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 12:41:00 BST

Sharon -

The company I work for is in the process of moving all of our manuals
into IBM's BookMaster (a mainframe product) for online use. After
that we have plans to make them available on CD-ROM too. This is
being done at the request of our customers and also as a cost-saving
measure (paper, publishing, etc).

I'm not sure of our plan of attack, but given the opportunity I will
argue that we should provide navigation tools for the platforms we
support (Windows, OS/2) but that the manuals themselves be in regular
ASCII format. As CD-ROMs are usuable on a variety of systems I'd
hate to encode the text in such a way that a user of another platform
couldn't at least get to a plain version of the files.

Gordon <-- still searching for the Bar at this here cocktail party.