multimedia curriculum

Subject: multimedia curriculum
From: David Farkas <farkas -at- U -dot- WASHINGTON -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 18:18:39 -0800

This is a response to a recent posting by Charles Sides.

Charles, my thought regarding a curriculum in multimedia is to offer
instruction in (1) video and audio production, (2) interactive tools
(Toolbook, Authorware, etc.), and (3) information topologies.

By information topologies, I mean the node-link structures of the
information that is being linked. That is, should the multimedia
sequences be linked in relatively linear, hierarchical,
matrix or a web-like structures.

You might look at chapter 5 of William Horton's DESIGNING AND WRITING
ONLINE DOCUMENTATION and H Van Dyke Parunak's chapter "Ordering the
Information Graph" in the McGraw Hill HYPERTEXT/HYPERMEDIA HANDBOOK, ed.
Emily Berk and Joseph Devlin.

I assign both of these readings in my graduate seminar, Information Design,
which is in large part devoted to hypertext theory.

Multimedia instruction is a new and exciting area, and it seems that you
have the foundations of a great program.

Dave Farkas
Department of Technical Communication
University of Washington
farkas -at- u -dot- washington -dot- edu