Re: Global indexes

Subject: Re: Global indexes
From: Shannon Ford <shannon -at- UNIFACE -dot- NL>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 08:12:48 +0100

Thanks to Chuck, Fred, and Steven for your suggestions about posting to the
Framers list. I asked a co-worker to post the question there, so perhaps now
it will get there twice (safety in redundancy).

From Steven:
> We also set the page numbering and paragraph numbering (which
> otherwise would mess up the numbering on the original files -
> IMPORTANT STEP, DON'T SKIP THIS, IF YOU DO, YOU'LL HAVE TO OPEN EACH
> FILE AND DO FORMAT DOCUMENT TO RESET THE STARTING PAGE NUMBER!)

I'm not sure I understand the `why' of this. Is it because FrameMaker will try
to re-number everything in the global book, so you will lose your original
numbering scheme unless you force it in the global book by using set up file?

I agree, though, that the hardest part is keeping index entries consistent
across books. We hope to combat that by building the global index early and
often (and, of course, getting a good set of conventions written down!)

From Kat:
>How about setting up the initial index entries as cross references,
>which will then update automatically with Frame?

I don't understand. Can you elaborate?

I'll post anything interesting my colleague gets off of Framers (unless
Steven does it first :-))

Thanks again,
Shannon
fords -at- uniface -dot- nl