Something funny

Subject: Something funny
From: LOWE -at- NAUVAX -dot- UCC -dot- NAU -dot- EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 23:54:33 -0700

HOW TO WRITE GOOD

by Frank L. Visco

My several years in the word game have learnt me several rules:

1. Avoid alliteration. Always.

2. Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.

3. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat.)

4. Employ the vernacular.

5. Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.

6. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are unnecessary.

7. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.

8. Contractions aren't necessary.

9. Foreign words and phrases are not apropos.

10. One should never generalize.

11. Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said:
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

12. Comparisons are as bad as cliches.

13. Don't be redundant; don't use more words than necessary;
it's highly superfluous.

14. Profanity sucks.

15. Be more or less specific.

16. Understatement is always best.

17. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.

18. One-word sentences? Eliminate.

19. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.

20. The passive voice is to be avoided.

21. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.

22. Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.

23. Who needs rhetorical questions?

Hope you all enjoy. I have enjoyed being on this list and hope to
get an account where I can still enjoy it when I move to Phoenix.
Happy Holidays.

- David Lowe
lowe -at- nauvax -dot- ucc -dot- nau -dot- edu
(still searching for a technical writing job, but will probably be working
at Jack in the Box for the time being!)