Re: What Is the Tool of Choice

Subject: Re: What Is the Tool of Choice
From: Jonathan Leer <jleer -at- MV -dot- MV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1993 10:20:11 -0500

Regarding your comments on discussing higher-level subjects rather than
tool of choice.

I believe we need both. My interest in these discussions is more practical
than philosophical. As a technical writing contractor I am constantly faced
with two problems: how to effectively communicate the subject material (for
which we are trained in school) and how to manage the client resources and
client mindset to get the job done.

Theory is great, but the majority of my time on a project is dealing with
client issues instead of the subject material. This is very unfortunate
but it is a major fact of life in the real world of technical writing.

Over time we have to not only convince the public of our expertise but
also change the prevalent attitude about the importance of tools. Which
comes first the chicken or the egg? I do not know. But you cannot write off
the importance of discussing issues such as "tool of choice."

Thanks,

jon Leer