Re: Xerox Docutech

Subject: Re: Xerox Docutech
From: Stefan Fielding-Isaacs <sfi -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1993 17:42:46 GMT

So far I haven't been impressed by Docutech. I'm managing a book
going through press right now. Unfortunately, the shop I'm using
jobs out the Docutech so I haven't had a chance to talk to the
Docutech folks themselves.

However, some points. 1) Docutech yields a 600dpi result, not 1200
(or so I have been told). Perhaps there is an option for 1200dpi of
which I haven't been made aware. (2) It uses toner rather than ink so
you don't get the same quality result. This is most noticeable in
my project when I instructed that the document be trimmed so that
the bleed tabs actually "bleed" over the page edge. I lost toner
during the trim process - toner does not adhere well under edge
conditions. I have real doubts about the acceptability of the
entire process because of this type of problem.

Finally, Robin, $250,000 is very cheap for a press. Docutech is
a cheap, quick alternative-not a substitute for good printing in
my book. Many shops which cannot afford a real press (or the know
how to run them) will move (or start) with Docutech.

Principal
Art & Science (San Francisco, California)
Technical Publications and Press Management Services
vox/pager: 415.599.4876
facsimile: 415.822.5654