authoring tools

Subject: authoring tools
From: Stephen Bernhardt <sbernhar -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 09:34:37 -0700

Ken d'Albenas wrote:

> Would anyone care to tell me what the term "authoring tool (or
> system)" means to you? It's appeared 3 times in my mail today.

I think of an authoring tool as a mid level language using some sort of
script and some already written objects that can be assembled easily. An
authoring tool for educators might have pieces of code for developing
computer assisted instruction. The person doing the authoring would not
have to code from scratch in a programming language, but build their
application out of pre-existing modules and functional objects. I use
Toolbook from Asymetrix, a "Windows construction set" and I'd consider it
an authoring tool. I t makes it simple, for example, to create hypertexts
and to do things like constructing new menubars tailored to an application.

steve