apparently NOT a scam after all

Subject: apparently NOT a scam after all
From: "Melinda Massi (MHM0)" <MHM0 -at- ECC -dot- BITNET>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 1994 13:47:11 EST

Previous I posted a message regarding a possible Internet
scam. Apparently it is not a scam. Here is the follow-up.
If you sent the original message along to anyone, please
also send this to them.

Thanks,
M. Massi

> From: Scott Ward
> To: All Concerned
> Re: International Internet Association

Last evening I talked to Max Robbins, the executive director of the
International Internet Association. He gave me the following information,
and I am forwarding it to you.

1. The IIA does exist.
2. They have been markedly low-key, but he said it was somewhat necessary
because "If we spent all our time answering Internet questions, we
wouldn't be able to get the system running."
3. The IIA is set to formally announce its presence during COMMNET on
January 24th in Washington, D.C. and asks everyone to monitor the media
after that point.
4. The IIA system is a set of daisy-chained SPARCstation 10s, and has the
capability to handle approximately 4,000 users.
5. The IIA has moved its operations from the Washington, D.C. area to New
Jersey, due to negotiating difficulties with C&P Telephone (the local
telephone carrier for D.C.)

Again, Max Robbins promises that all questions will be answered at
COMMNET, and did not ask me to release this message. That is all the
information I know, and my mailbox is literally STUFFED due to people
asking for clarification, etc. Please understand that I cannot answer
more mail and still carry on with my normal electronic mail.
In reference to the matter of the credit card numbers: Max states that
they are shipping membership packages to individuals who have already sent
applications to them. They are currently operating at a backlog of
six weeks, but are mailing membership packages at a rate of some 100 a
day. He also said that the IIA may be dropping its credit card number
requirement at some point in the future. At this point, it is still
required for submission of an application.

That is all I know.