Re: Degree Question

Subject: Re: Degree Question
From: Dianne Phelan <dphelan -at- MANTOS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 1994 12:36:46 MST

I'm a 1987 graduate of New Mexico Tech's BS program in
technical communication, about which Chuck Campbell has already
written. My required science minor is computer science, and I
work as a software documentor.

Classes that were most directly useful to my career:

Copyediting
Manual, report, and proposal writing (separate classes)
Computer programming (many classes)
Experimental psychology, tests & measurements, perception
Probability and statistics
Internship in technical writing

Classes that were indirectly useful:

Literature
Rhetoric
Sciences (physics, chemistry, biology, psychology)

Classes that I wish had been taught:

Graphic design and page layout
Desktop publishing
How to start a business

A lot of my classmates took internships locally at the
college. I wanted to get as close to the "real world" as
possible, and landed an internship at Burroughs (now Unisys) in
California. Those three months taught me a lot: the company was
more forgiving of mistakes (you're just a student, after
all...) but I was exposed to the actual, day-to-day atmosphere
of working. It helped me focus on what I wanted to accomplish
during my remaining classes.

The most important piece of information I can pass on is that
LEARNING DOESN'T STOP WHEN YOU GRADUATE. You won't come out of
even the best program knowing everything you need to know for
the rest of your career. Borrow or buy books, take seminars
and community college courses, listen in on electronic mailing
lists, join professional organizations, and talk to people.
Keep on growing!

--Dianne Phelan

| Dianne Phelan | | | Mantos Consulting, Inc. |
| Email:dphelan -at- mantos -dot- com | | | | -----+ P.O. Box 90564 |
| Phone/Fax:(505) 291-1047 | | | | | Albuquerque, NM 87199-0564 |