Re: Summary of changes in prefaces

Subject: Re: Summary of changes in prefaces
From: Joe Fockler <jfockler -at- IPHASE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 17:24:11 -0600

I like the idea. I used a similar approach when documenting PC
Video Adapter products. It was as much for my benefit as it was
for the "end user." I often browse through this information, when
included in books, to decide whether or not to purchase the "new
edition." This occurs frequently in many text books.

It is particularly useful to those who possess the previous edition/release.

Joe
jfockler -at- iphase -dot- com

According to David McMurrey
IBM : + + What do you all think about including a section in prefaces to
+ software and hardware manuals that lists the changes made to those
+ books since the previous release/edition?

+ Do you think readers/users really care whether the name of a
+ chapter was changed, or that it was moved somewhere else in the book?

+ I'm having trouble justifying such a section in the prefaces to the
+ books in our library, and would like to know what you all think, what
+ you do, and so on.

+ David McMurrey
+ Info. Dev.--IBM, Austin, Texas
+ davidm -at- austin -dot- ibm -dot- com