Re: Marketing/propaganda in documentation

Subject: Re: Marketing/propaganda in documentation
From: Mike Beyries <beyries -at- CSISDN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 07:38:47 PST

Patrick, et al.

I have found it helpful to think of the marketing intro as a bridge
between what the user was sold and what they have received. This is
a place to (yes) try to convince them that they made a good decision,
enumerate the features and options of the product, and establish a
correlation between the marketing language (e.g., feature/option name)
and the documentation that follows.

To the contributor who suggests that being able to skip the first
chapter implies skipping the whole book, I suggest that most books
(at least, most I have written and/or used in *many* years) are
not read sequentially anyway. A chapter titled "Introduction" or
a section marked "Product Overview" is asking to be skipped by
those who feel they don't need one of those. So be it. That's
one reason to use titles!

IMHO, of course. ;-)

Regards,
(beyries -at- csisdn -dot- com) | |
Technical Writer & Doer of Other Foul Deeds | It's all right letting |
Located at Connective Strategies, Inc. | yourself go, as long |
465B Fairchild Dr. #207 | as you can get |
Mountain View, CA U.S.A. 94043 | yourself back. |
Phone: 415-903-8382 ISDN voice/data | |
415-961-6691 FAX | - Mick Jagger |

NOT the opinion of my employer ...