Re: Indexing Glossaries

Subject: Re: Indexing Glossaries
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 21:31:26 EST

I am a member of the American Society of Indexers (ASI), and I have
developed hundreds of indexes for technical documents. In response to
whoever asked (sorry, I didn't keep the posting) about indexing glossary
entries, I vote *for* indexing glossary entries, especially in technical
documentation, where terminology may be unfamiliar to some users.

One of the best books on indexing, _Indexing From A to Z_ by Hans H.
Wellisch, says:

"... Glossaries are often included in books on topics whose
terminology is still unstable or full of neologisms and
specific usages of terms by the author. The presence of
a glossary should be indexed, and the terms defined in it
(which will almost inevitably be employed in the text and
thus have index entries) should also be indexed, preferably
by a subheading "defined" ...."

Hope this helps.

Lori Lathrop
Lathrop Media Services