Re: Style Guides?

Subject: Re: Style Guides?
From: Bob Armao <bob -at- BRS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 10:37:21 EST

> David Lowe writes:

> > Hi all,
> > I just got hired for my first job as a tech writer. My first
> > projects are an on-line user manual and a policies and procedures
> > manual. Does anyone recommend any books or style guides? I am
> > going to an information mapping seminar a couple of weeks after
> > I start the job.
> > Thanks in advance!
> > - David

And Matthew Abe responds:

> There are also usually some good examples of internal style manuals
> at the STC Annual Conference. The winners of the annual Technical
> Publications Competition are on display there each year. Last year I
> think, there was a great one from Schlumberger -- nicely designed,
> very classy, yet also very useful.

> Matthew Abe Internet: matta -at- county -dot- lmt -dot- mn -dot- org
> Documentation Group Leader
> LaserMaster Corporation
> 7156 Shady Oak Road
> Eden Prairie, MN 55344

By coincidence, my local STC chapter just reviewed the traveling
exhibit for the STC International Technical Writing Competition.
Matter of fact, I have to repack the boxes and ship it to the next site.
We did review the style guide by Schlumberger that Matthew refers to,
and yes it was very impressive. Actually some other people looked at
it more closely than I did (we broke up into small groups to better
assimilate the huge volume of stuff) but everyone had very good things
to say about it.

The exhibit include a few policies and procedures manuals too, but
not many. Most entries are software or hardware manuas. But I do
recommend getting hold of this exhibit if your STC chapter wants to
build a chapter meeting around it. It does cost money for shipping.
Let me know if you want more info.

Bob Armao
BRS Software Products
5 Computer Drive South