Writing for the avid non-reader.

Subject: Writing for the avid non-reader.
From: Brett E Lee-1 <leex0096 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 19:32:04 -0600

I'm looking for ideas to develop for a research paper I am working on.
The topic is 'writing installation instructions for reluctant readers.'

That pretty much describes every audience, I know. But let's take it one
step further by saying the installer may be required to work in a poorly
lit basement,or in an unheated garage on a 30-degree-below winter day.
What types of visual cueing, or anything, will enable them to accomplish
there task. Of course, sometimes they install in plush masterbedrooms,
which also distract from the documents. Any ideas?