Re: Arrow Keys or Cursor Keys or...

Subject: Re: Arrow Keys or Cursor Keys or...
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 09:33:00 EST

I use "arrow keys" when I refer to them by their name because that's how I've
heard probably 95% of the people I've talked to refer to them.

HOWEVER, I prefer to use a keypress typeface to indicate all individual
keypress, whenever possible. The Keystroke face that comes with CorelDRAW 4.0
works pretty well for me. The face displays reconizable key-shaped letters and
symbols (like arrow keys) that make potentially confusing references unnecessay
-- the user can simply look for the key on their keyboard that matches the one
on the page. Plus, it's a "cheap" way to add some graphic features to the page.
Plus two, it distinguishes nicely between GUI buttons (radio and push) and
keyboard keys. I've actually seen users looking all over their keyboards for
the OK button.

Of course, this doesn't work for online, since you can't count on them having
that face...

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer |
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | Never tell people how to
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | do things. Tell them
President, San Diego STC | what to do and they will
| surprise you with their
NOTE: apparently my email address needs | ingenuity.
to be typed exactly as it appears here, |
punctuation and all, or the system gets | --George Patton
upset. |

Previous by Author: Re: What to do with the journals?
Next by Author: Re: homophones
Previous by Thread: Re: Writing Aggravations (was: Homophones)
Next by Thread: Arrow Keys or Cursor Keys or...

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads