Re: I still love crayons.

Subject: Re: I still love crayons.
From: "logendra (l.) naidoo" <naidoo -at- BNR -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 12:43:00 -0500

Steven J. Owens at
uso01 -at- unidata -dot- com
writes:

>...I'm not sure what distinction you draw between gray
scale illustrations and illustration package drawings,
>but I definitely don't like scanned images, and line
drawings for anything complicated can quickly become
impossible to understand. You have the bandwidth to do
shaded and contoured illustrations, so I'd say use it.

>Steven J. Owens
>uso01 -at- unidata -dot- com

The distinction I use between illustration package drawings
(Adobe, Frame graphics tool, SuperPaint etc.) and gray
scale drawings is in terms of intended quality.

Gray scale uses shades of gray similar to chiaroscuro to
capture dimensionality (photo quality). I believe Corel and
Adobe offer these specialized tools. Some of the gray scale
images in software documentation includes icons (not screen
captures) placed to the left or right of the text.

To me, an illustration package drawing implies a generic
tool design that uses the textures bar to its fullest. The
only example I can think of includes successors to the
MacPaint application. I generally believe illustrations of
this nature are lower quality, however, certain situations
may warrant them.

Thanks.

Logendra.
Technical Writer