Re[2]: [exercise/exorcise/excise]

Subject: Re[2]: [exercise/exorcise/excise]
From: Julie Barker <julie -at- HARSTON -dot- CV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 16:39:46 +0000

Hullo Bonni

After a quick chat with some of my colleagues here, I have decided
that the secularization of "exorcise" must be a feature of
American English. Back here in the Motherland, the opinion seems
to be that it still has firm religious/spritual connotations,
and sounds weird in any other context.

I think we can just agree to differ on this if we allow for a certain
amount of language variation between American English and British English.

I'm fully prepared to accept changes to our living language,
but you just have to give them time to filter into the language
over here. [BTW - I would imagine that the traffic is pretty much one way -
can you think of any Anglicisations that have found their way into AmEng?
We already seem to be refering to countries or regions as "geographies",
*doing* lunch (as in "let's do lunch"), taking rainchecks (though this one
still has a fairly high "ouch" rating), leveraging things, flaming people...
Americanisms all.]

| |
| Julie Barker * Project Technical Writer * julie -at- harston -dot- cv -dot- com |
| |
| Computervision Ltd, Harston Mill, Harston, Cambridge, CB2 5NH, UK |
| * Tel: +44 223 872377 * Fax: +44 223 870131 * |
| |
| "Get with the beat, Baggy" - Baloo |