Technical communication and cultural differences

Subject: Technical communication and cultural differences
From: Randy Allen Harris <raha -at- WATARTS -dot- UWATERLOO -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 12:57:36 -0500

A student has asked me for references on technical communication and
cultural differences--e.g., translation (and transliteration) problems,
failed humour for cultural reasons, inadvertant taboo-breakage, successes
or failures of things like international icons or Basic English, and so on.

Please send references to my personal mail box (the address is in my
signature file below), and I will compile a bibliography for the list.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not asking for anecdotes and stories, but references to
publications. (Feel free to post the former if you like; listmembers may
very well be interested, but please send only references to me).

Thanks in advance for any references, and, in any case, thanks for at least
reading this message (Logendra's right: his way's better, paradox or no).

Randy Allen Harris
raha -at- watarts -dot- uwaterloo -dot- ca

Rhetoric and Professional Writing, Department of English, University of
Waterloo, Waterloo ON N2L 3G1, CANADA; 519 885-1211, x5362; FAX: 519 884-8995