"Press" vs "Hit"

Subject: "Press" vs "Hit"
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- CCLINK -dot- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 09:41:11 PST

I once submitted an operator's guide to an STC publications contest.
I didn't win. But the judges returned it with comments that 1) it
didn't have a pretty cover and 2) I instructed the operator to hit
rather than press a key. I've always wanted a chance to defend my use
of "hit," so here goes.

Personally, I hit keys. Every morning I turn on my computer, type my
password, and HIT that "Enter" key, and so on throughout the day. I
PRESS my mouse. But I HIT my keys. I also slam cupboard doors.

I like to make noise.

Beth
evollbach -at- logicon -dot- com
San Diego, CA