Generic Computer Term

Subject: Generic Computer Term
From: Dave Venzke <dven -at- CLEO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 13:48:00 EST

Judith Grobe Sachs <Judith -dot- Grobe -dot- Sachs -at- UIC -dot- EDU> asked:

>I have a question. On our campus we have PCs, Macs and various
>sorts of workstations. What term can I use to refer to all of
>them without making anyone think that I've left them out?


Whenever I describe the product that my employer manufacturers,
which runs of DOS PCs as well as workstations that run UNIX and
some of its many variations, I use the term "desktop computer."
To my thinking, this term includes any computer that is small
enough to reside on a desktop (Macs, PCs, workstations, etc.).

Dave Venzke | All opinions expressed here are solely my
CLEO Communications | own. Any resemblance to opinions held by
3796 Plaza Drive | my employer is purely coincidental.
Ann Arbor MI 48108 |
(313) 662-2002, ext. 132 | Address: dven -at- cleo -dot- com

Previous by Author: [no subject]
Next by Author: Style Guides?
Previous by Thread: Re: "Press" vs "Hit"
Next by Thread: Re: Generic Computer Term

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads