Re: Colons, lists, and periods

Subject: Re: Colons, lists, and periods
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 12:27:10 PST

Regarding bulleted-list conventions:

We use a period if any of the items in the list are a sentence or a
good-sided fragment of one. If they're all short items and none of them
needs a period, they don't get periods.

But: We don't start a sentence, and then present several bulleted items
as possible ways of finishing it. I was taught (while working on the
Daily Aztec at San Diego State, Bonni) that a bulleted list is used for
presenting several items of more-or-less equal weight. The "and" is
implied, and each item can stand on its own -- it's not an ending for
some sentence fragment that you may have seen several lines above.

So I would reconstruct Bonni's second example like this:

Here's what you can count on me for:

* Mentioning all picky items, whether anyone wants to hear them or not.

* Coming up with some weird devil's advocate position on any given topic.

* Thoroughly enjoying creating unrest and dissent.

-- to me, that's easier to read. You're not saying "Now, just how was
that sentence supposed to begin?" all the time, and you don't have to
look for that "and" at the end to make sense of the whole set of
bullets.

Incidentally, I'm using that "Here's" more and more these days. I like
it a lot better than stuff like "the following . . ."

Arthur
GeoQuest
Corte Madera, CA