Re: Quotation Marks

Subject: Re: Quotation Marks
From: "Michael K. Christie" <72072 -dot- 2454 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 21:09:21 EST

Re: David McMurrey's January 21st question about quotation marks (or lack
thereof) in chapter and section references:

We omit quotation marks an use bold in something like:

see Chapter 2 - Setting Up Your System

I don't think that there's any style guide that mandates it, and I certainly
wouldn't use it for anything academic or literary, but for a user manual,
especially on a complex technical product, there's a case to be made for
keeping it as clean and spare as possible. This (perhaps) allows the reader to
better focus on the content the manual.

Mike Christie
Technical Writer
Syntelligence Systems, Inc.

mikec -at- syntel -dot- com -or-
72072 -dot- 2454 -at- compuserve -dot- com