on info mapping

Subject: on info mapping
From: Stephen Bernhardt <sbernhar -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 13:40:01 -0700

IN response:
> Don't dismiss it outright, however. Information Mapping was an attempt
> at rewriting old, common sense presentation formats for sciences --
> flowcharting, spacial relationships, recipes, procedures, etc. In trying
> to turn IM into a science, IM authors gave it big time bog down.

INfo Mapping is also a business, of teaching and training. As such it is
a sound idea reified into a full blown "way to do things". It also
stresses the info to be mapped into predetermined slots. It always pushes
too hard on the doc writer to have a diagram in the same place on every
page. It does offere some nice training for writing chunks of language
and for identifying what those chunks do. It offers high predictablility
for readers--same stuff in the same place on eery page. We shouold take
what is useful from it and modify it to suit the particular demands of a
particular piece of doc.