Re: Style Guides?

Subject: Re: Style Guides?
From: Don M Chaffee <dchaffee -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 04:22:03 GMT

Jim Grey <jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com> writes:

>Don Chaffee sez:
>>What's standard is what you can get past the boss, or that ONE damned
>>engineer who thinks he or she is, among other things, God's gift to the
>>English language. FEH!

>We used to have this problem with a couple engineers. Our review process
>divided the many kinds of review among several departments, but if a reviewer
>wanted something outside his review responsibility to change, he could hold
>up the review forever. So we rewrote the review policy to include this
>dictum: If you mark the document for anything outside your review
>responsibity, we will run your edit by the department responsible for that
>kind of edit, and make the change only if they agree. Writing edits, of
>course, are handled within this department by another writer, and we writers
>stick together.

YOW! That last sentence says it all! Hold the line against language
barbarians! Hold onto that resentment that they didn't have to take
Freshman English and you did, even though you could write CIRCLES around
them! And they could pass their foreign language requirement by coding
"hello world" in ADA!

Don