Re: Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!

Subject: Re: Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!
From: Don M Chaffee <dchaffee -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 03:57:07 GMT

"Craig Haggart, Accelerator Ops" <haggart -at- ssrl01 -dot- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu> writes:

> > TAKE A STAND!

>OK: hard G, please!

>I use the prefix "giga-" every day, as do the technicians and engineers
>around me. The only time in my life that I heard anybody utter "jiga-"
>was in the movie "Back To The Future."

> > It's "jigabyte," dammit, and don't let anyone tell you
> > otherwise! I am not making this up.

>Both pronunciations are listed in my dictionary. As always, usage will
>decide; my money's on hard G. Ask any English-speaker who deals with
>equipment operating in the microwave range to pronounce "gigahertz."

Craig: OK, cite the dictionary. Which one? Which edition? See how far it
ghets you!

And don't tell _me_ about microwave range! Grampa Chaffee wrote the
textbook on thermionic vacuum tubes and I NEVER heard him say
"ghigahertz." Come to think of it, I never heard him say "jigahertz" either.

Don Chaffee