Re: While we're on the topic of words . . .

Subject: Re: While we're on the topic of words . . .
From: Ann Amsler <aamsler -at- BACH -dot- UDEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 09:45:59 -0500

I've never liked "pro-active" either, but I hear it all too often in
my department. Since we're trying to support 20,000+ computer users, and
keeping up with software and hardware changes is impossible, I think the
term is used in the sense of "head 'em off at the pass." In other words,
get to the users before they get frustrated and angry.

I understand why people say "pro-active," but it grates on me too.

Do we dare ask where this term came from?

By the way, I'm a "thing," not a "think" person (raised in WV, went to
school in Pittsburgh, PA; Milwaukee, WI; and Columbus, OH; have been
in DE since 1976 and had never heard "think" until it appeared on the net).
I'm still looking for sources, but haven't come up with anything.

Ann Amsler
University of Delaware