Hard G/ Soft G (was: Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!)

Subject: Hard G/ Soft G (was: Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!)
From: Andrea Magers <Andrea_Magers -at- NOTES -dot- PW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 07:34:12 PST

Gigabyte, Jigabyte, will we ever know which is right? (That rhymes, you
know). The hard G /soft G was not anything I thought I would ever care
about. . . until I got married. Married, you say? What does that have to do
with anything? Look at my last name. . . go on, LOOK! It's Magers. How
many of you would pronounce it with a hard G and how many with a soft? I'll
give you a hint...no one has ever pronounced it correctly by reading it. And
I DO know where its pronunciation comes from (at least the story).