passives, etc.

Subject: passives, etc.
From: Steve Owens <uso01%eagle -at- UNIDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 13:40:43 +0700

> While I don't disagree that sometimes "this stuff happens because people
> are creative," I think that the vast majority of changes are attributable
> to laziness and ignorance. But perhaps I'm feeling more cynical than
~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Which are often the source of creativity! I seem to recall
reading (in dim childhood memory) that the automatic steam pump (and
hence, eventually the steam engine) were invented by a lazy kid who
was tired of pulling levers and cords to run a steam pump in the mines
in england (or somewhere). So he figured out how to string together
the levers and cords and spent his shift sleeping, until he was fired
for his creativity :-)

But back to the point, how often in history do you think something
new was invented because somebody a) said "There's GOTTA be an easier way!"
or b) didn't know it couldn't be done?

Steven J. Owens
uso01 -at- unidata -dot- com