The Associated Press Stylebook

Subject: The Associated Press Stylebook
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- CCLINK -dot- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 1994 16:01:18 PST

I'm pretty familiar with The Associated Press Stylebook. I used it in
college and afterwards when I was a newswriter for two years. And,
just for the heck of it, I still consult it every once in awhile. But
I never depend on it anymore. It is, after all, a style guide for
newspaper writing. Not always, but often enough, newswriting style
and technical writing style differ, I have found.

And so in the case of "who" vs. "that." As I understand, "The man
that did such and such" and "The man who did such and such" are
equally correct. It's just a matter of which you prefer. The
Associated Press prefers "who." But that's their taste and,
therefore, their guideline for newswriters who choose to follow their
style.

Although I admit that I, too, would prefer "The dog that bit the man .
. . ." and "The man who hit the dog . . . .", that is my taste and
does not mean that "The man that hit the dog . . . ." is incorrect.

"Ms. Thistlebottom"