Re: While we're on the topic of words . . .

Subject: Re: While we're on the topic of words . . .
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 09:26:17 EST

Nancy Hoft <itech -at- MV -dot- MV -dot- COM> writes:

> It's frightening to think that I've been in this profession long enough
> to know the origin of the phrase, "Any noun can be verbed." It's an
> IBM'ism!

> On Fri, 4 Feb 1994, Ann Amsler wrote:

> > So, Fred, were you at the Plymouth State conference in New Hampshire too
> > (Kelly and I were, it turns out) or did you hear Dick Chisholm say "Any
> > noun can be verbed" somewhere else, or is this yet another saying with a
> > life of its own?

This fits nicely, since my recollection of the Plymouth State conference
is that the "Any noun can be verbed" comment came up in a presentation by
an IBM tech writer.

Of course, my memory's not what it used to be, and this was back in
1986 or so. :-)

kkh
Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH USA 03062 admitting defeat."