Re: Ain't nothin' wrong with me gramma'

Subject: Re: Ain't nothin' wrong with me gramma'
From: Mark Hagen <mahagen -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 12:49:48 -0500

I know this isn't going to make me any friends, but . . .

I'm amazed and appalled at the extent to which all of you folks will go to
justify your predatorial ambitions. For all of you who think nitpicking is
something is something which needs to be done to "educate the ignorant
masses", think again. Besides doing all of the picky little grammar stuff,
technical writers need to perform other tasks, including writing for an
audience. You think this list, and your audience is just technical
writers, but it is not. The audience on this list consists of persons
interested in technical writing, not just those doing technical writing.
Therefore, the audience includes many people with many different levels and
types of expertise. By shutting out people like Chad, you are not only
depriving them your knowledge, but are also shutting yourselves out from
knowledge of people like Chad.

And Chad, if you're still out there listening (reading), don't feel that
your insight and questioning are any less valuable than anyone else out
there. Too many people on this list (and other lists) have shown all too
often that they are not even capable of reading at the content level.

And for those non-predatorial readers out there, I apologize, I just had to
let this off my chest.

Mark A. Hagen
Humanities Department
Michigan Technological University