Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 8 Feb 1994 to 9 Feb 1994

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 8 Feb 1994 to 9 Feb 1994
From: Billie Wahlstrom <bwahlstr -at- MAILBOX -dot- MAIL -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 11:11:32 -0600

Colleagues,
I find it rather disheartening to think that some people in our profession
consider concerns with punctuation nitpicking. Language is the primary tool with
which work, and part of language is punctuation. Punctuation has meaning, and I
don't believe that there is such a thing as an insignificant comma. Used
correctly, all marks of punctuation contribute to meaning. Used incorrectly,
they reduce meaning and increase confusion.

Billie Wahlstrom
Professor and Head
Department of Rhetoric
University of Minnesota
St. Paul, MN 55105
Telephone: 612.624.7750

Home of the Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Technical Communication!