Re: LIST options change

Subject: Re: LIST options change
From: Steve Owens <uso01%eagle -at- UNIDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 09:43:57 +0700

> I was very pleased to see the new change in list reply policy. Now it
> seems like people who oppose the change have decided to complain
> loudly enough that Eric will have to change it back. Let me add my
> vote of support to Eric's original, strong case.

Since we're voting (although I strongly feel that if we ARE
going to vote, Eric should just run it via private mail) I'll add my
vote for a return to the previous format.

> It is not too hard to create an alias for TECHWR-L and send mail to
> that alias when you want to post to the list. When you choose to
> reply, change the "To:" field to this alias.

You're telling this to many people who cannot, apparently,
figure out their editors enough to delete 60 extra lines of included
text?

> In own opinion, it should be harder to post to the list than to reply
> personally. This is standard behavior for at least one other mailing
> list that I receive.

And it's NOT standard behavior for several other mailing lists
that I receive. Actually, there's an RFC that covers this, out there
somewhere. I believe the current setup violates the standard. Don't
hold me to that, though, until somebody has time to dig it up and check.

If you're going to start talking about how it's no big deal for
people to adapt to the change, then I'm going to start talking about how
it's no big deal for people to learn to use good posting practices in
the first place - like paying attention to whom they're sending, like
cutting out excess included text, like changing subject lines as
appropriate. It's not a big deal.

Steven J. Owens
uso01 -at- unidata -dot- com