Using trademarks, etc. within Windows Help

Subject: Using trademarks, etc. within Windows Help
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 12:34:09 PST

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know whether there are rules specifically for
showing trademarks within online help? I (and our internal
expert on trademarks/copyright stuff) tend to assume the
requirements are the same as for paper documents.

However, I have looked at help files from several popular programs,
and have seen *very* few TM's with product names. Even Microsoft
doesn't seem to include them. Any idea why not?

2. I have created a Windows Help file. I added a copyright
statement in the project file using the COPYRIGHT option.
In most fonts, and according to the book I have on Windows
Help, I can use Alt-0169 to insert a copyright symbol. When
I insert one in the WinWord document, it looks fine. However,
when I compile the Help file and look at the copyright statement,
the copyright symbol has changed to a registered-trademark
symbol (a circled R)! I've tried copying the symbol with
character map, tried using different symbols, different fonts,
etc., and nothing I've tried has compiled as a copyright symbol.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea what can be done about
it (apart from using RoboHelp or another tool)?

Thanks for any and all information!

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com