Using "where" to mean "in which"

Subject: Using "where" to mean "in which"
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 09:41:26 -0600

When proofing the writing of others, do you accept
"where" used to mean "in which," or do you change it
to "in which"?

Example: In all applications *where* reclaimed water is
to be used, it is very important to reduce the level of
soluble iron to below 10 ppm.

(Yes, I realize the sentence is passive and uses an expletive,
so I probably need to rewrite the second half of the sentence.)

I often run across sentences that start with "For cases where"
or "In situations where." Although this is an acceptable use
of "where," I feel it may be ambiguous, and I am tempted to
change it to "in which."

I'd like to know if I am the only tech writer who makes this
change. If you have given this any thought, please send me
your opinion.

LaVonna lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com